1858, Dr. Elias S. Cooper organizes the first medical school in the West with a charter from the University of the Pacific. Upstairs from Dr. Cooper’s office at Mission and Third, six physicians teach 13 students. In six years, 28 men complete the 18-week course.
1862, Dr. Cooper’s nephew, Dr. Levi Cooper Lane takes over the medical school after Dr. Cooper’s death. The faculty eventually join the rival Toland Medical School that opens in 1864 (later becoming the department of medicine of University of California).
1870, Dr. Lane and colleagues leave Toland Medical School and reopen their own school at Sacramento and Webster, the Medical College of the Pacific.
1882, Dr. Lane and colleagues launch Cooper Medical College at Sacramento and Webster. The building is built for $125,000 with Dr. Lane’s own funds. Lane Hall, the imposing medical lecture hall, is added in 1890.
1899, eleven out of 45 (25%) of the Cooper Medical College graduating class are women.