We typically offer internships in the winter/spring, summer and fall, and abide by ACLP application deadlines.
DUE TO THE CURRENT PANDEMIC, WE ARE NOT ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE SUMMER 2021 INTERNSHIP.
Intern candidates must have completed the following:
- At least 200 hours of experience within one or more child life programs with at least 120 of these hours in a child life practicum.
- A bachelor’s degree program in a child development, human development, family
systems or child life related major, with a minimum of a 3.0 cumulative GPA. If you
are in a master’s degree program or have completed your master’s degree, you must have a 3.0 cumulative GPA.
- All coursework required for certification, or be enrolled/registered for this coursework.
If you do not meet these requirements, please do not apply.
The ideal candidate possesses:
- A strong academic and practical background, including varied work experience with children and families.
- The ability to demonstrate understanding and knowledge of growth and development, with proficiency in articulating and applying this knowledge.
- The ability to effectively communicate with children and families.
- Strong interpersonal skills, as well as the ability to be flexible.
- The ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- The ability to communicate their own needs, and fully utilize clinical supervision.
To apply, a completed application must include all of the following:
- Typed ACLP Common Child Life Internship Application, found on www.childlife.org (please no handwritten applications).
- Professional cover letter.
- Professional resume.
- Complete university transcript (will accept unofficial copies).
- Three professional letters of recommendation or Common Recommendation Forms:
- One letter/recommendation form from an academic professor or supervisor and two from professionals who have directly observed the applicant’s work with children.
- Please do not include personal letters of recommendation as they will not be considered.
- Documentation of child life hours.
- Verification of a minimum 120 hour practicum, preferably on the “ACLP Verification of Child Life Practicum Experience Hours” form, or on institutional letterhead signed by CCLS.
- Eligibility Assessment from the ACLP.
- Documentation of current enrollment for any required coursework.
- A copy of any written evaluation received from a volunteer or practicum experience (recommended).
Please submit all application materials together in one envelope. Please do not place materials in any kind of folder, binder or portfolio cover.
If further information is needed, please contact:
Amy Medovoy MA, CCLS
Child Life Program Manager
Sutter Children’s Center, Sacramento
2825 Capitol Ave
Sacramento, CA 95816